A cloudy day in Cape Town.
Heavy rain and strong winds are expected to batter the Western Cape on Sunday, the South African Weather Service says.
– Gale force north-westerly winds (65 to 75km/h) are expected between Table Bay and Cape Agulhas in the morning.
– Heavy rain leading to localised flooding is expected in places over the south-western parts of the Western Cape.
– Extremely high fire danger conditions are expected in places over the southern interior of the Eastern Cape, northern and eastern parts of the Free State, southern parts of the North West, western parts of KwaZulu-Natal and the Highveld of Mpumalanga.
Special weather advisories:
– Strong to near gale force north-westerly winds (50 to 64km/h) are expected over the interior of the Western Cape.
– Extremely cold conditions are expected over the southern high ground of the Namakwa District in the Northern Cape.
The weather in your region:
Gauteng will be fine and cool. The expected UVB sunburn index is high.
Mpumalanga will be fine and cold to cool but warm on the Lowveld.
Limpopo, the Free State and North West will be fine and cool to warm
The Northern Cape will be fine and cool, but cloudy and cold to extremely cold in the west and southern parts with rain and showers over the southern interior. The wind along the coast will be strong north-westerly, becoming fresh in the afternoon.
The Western Cape will be cloudy and cold in the west with scattered to widespread rain and showers, otherwise partly cloudy but cloudy at times and cool. Isolated showers will spread along the south coast during the afternoon. The wind along the coast will be strong north-westerly to westerly reaching gale force along the south-west coast at first. The expected UVB sunburn index is low.
The western half of the Eastern Cape will be partly cloudy and cool, becoming cloudy in places during the afternoon with light rain along the coast in the evening. The wind along the coast will be fresh to strong south-westerly.
The eastern half of the Eastern Cape will be fine to partly cloudy and cool, but warm in the south-east. The wind along the coast will be moderate to fresh south-westerly, becoming moderate north-westerly east of East London in the evening.
KwaZulu-Natal will be fine and warm, but cool in the west. It will become partly cloudy over the southern parts in the afternoon. The wind along the coast will be moderate to fresh northerly to north-easterly, becoming southerly to south-westerly from the south in the afternoon. The expected UVB sunburn index is high.
The forecast for 9 August.
– Compiled by Kerushun Pillay