Four men have appeared in court for alleged murder.
- Four men are facing two counts of murder following a shooting that occurred during an alleged scuffle at a farm in Mpumalanga last Friday.
- It is alleged that the accused shot and killed two men who were on the farm seeking employment as seasonal workers.
- One of the accused faces an additional charge of obstructing the ends of justice after he allegedly refused to hand over his firearm.
The four men accused of killing two job seekers after an alleged scuffle broke out on a farm in Mpumalanga are set to apply for bail next week.
Daniel Malan, 38, Cornelius Greyling, 25, Othard Klingenberg, 53, and Ignatius Steynberg, 31, appeared in the Piet Retief Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
All four men face two charges of murder, while Malan faces an additional charge of defeating the ends of justice after he allegedly refused to hand over his firearm for investigation purposes.
The charges stem from an incident that occurred on a farm in Dirkieskop on Friday, where a group of men allegedly went to the farm owner to seek employment as seasonal workers.
According to police, the farm owner informed the men that they were not welcome on his premises.
Police spokesperson Colonel Donald Mdhluli alleged the job seekers left the farm but later realised that one of them had been left behind and decided to return.
It is further alleged that when the job seekers returned to the farm, they found that their friend was being kept on the farm by the accused.
As the men demanded that they let him go, a scuffle allegedly broke out during which two men were shot dead at the scene, News24 previously reported.
Three other men are said to have also sustained severe injuries.
According to the charge sheet, the deceased are Mgcini Coka and Zenzele Coka.
During court proceedings on Monday, the court noted that Malan had sustained injuries, including visible cuts and swelling.
It was noted that the accused had received medical attention and that he sustained the injuries during the incident.
Police had initially said the accused would also face charges of assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm; however, this was not reflected in the charge sheet.
Nor were any other charges relating to three other men who were allegedly injured during the scuffle reflected, according to police.
The matter was postponed to 19 April for a bail application after the court refused a request by the defence to have the accused remain in custody at the Piet Retief police station until their next appearance.